There is a lot of conversation around the need for women in advancement and leadership roles and creating a diverse environment, but just how supportive is the company you work for?
In Her Sight is a website that offers an anonymous survey to rank and rate companies for their cooperation, support and encouragement of women in business. The website states the obvious that “what gets measured gets managed” and the hope is that companies are using the aggregated results to make improvements.
Employers need women: Research shows that women lead to better business. Employers with more women at the top outperform financially, and family-friendly policies increase productivity. InHerSight.com
- Paid Time Off
- Flexible Work Hours
- Ability to Telecommute
- Maternity & Adoptive Leave
- Family Growth Support -(e.g., child care, expense reimbursement, lactation rooms)
- Equal Opportunities for Men and Women
- Female Representation in Top Leadership
- Management Opportunities for Women
- Salary Satisfaction
- Learning Opportunities
- Sponsorship or Mentorship Program
- Social Activities and Environment -(e.g., happy hours, company outings, other activities)
- Wellness Initiatives -(e.g., exercise facilities, treadmill desks, healthy snacks)
- The People You Work With
That is quite a comprehensive list and one in which very few companies will rank high in every category. The great thing about this list is that a company can use it to help shape and guide any improvements they are interested in making. For example,” offers family growth support” may not be a current focus, however, if the leaders of an organization seek to attract and retain strong women candidates, it may be an area for them to explore further.
The final component of the survey is an essay question:
In your words: Tell us whether you think it’s possible to “have it all” at (the company name).
How would you answer this question? What would you have to say about the company you work for?
If you are considering making a career change, does the company you want to work for score well in these categories?